Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Look Back: January 31, 2013

 I found this archived with some old blogs that I never posted. For some reason I decided to record my experiences as I traveled from France to Madagascar last year. I don't know if you will find it as entertaining and I do, but it's kind of fun to look back at my ridiculousness. =) 

Sunday, January 31, 2013 Travel from France to Madagascar

3:15 am, alarm rings... I hit snooze.
3:20 am, I realize that today is actually happening, and I get out of bed.
3:45 am, goodbyes to the awesome family who has graciously allowed me to live in their house for 3 months. I hate mornings in general, but goodbye mornings suck even worse.
4:00 am, leave for the airport
5:30 am, check in at airport. The lady asked me for proof I'm a missionary. I panicked. Personally if you knew me the sheer fact I was in the airport with tickets to Madagascar in hand would be enough to prove I am not going of my own power. God reminds me of the important document package that is in my carry on. End panic mode.
7:00 am, our flight is delayed due to a strike in Paris.
7:10 am, sit next to an awesome girl named Evangeline who is from the States.
7:15 am, man asks me something in French... I say "oui! No! Uh, je ne sais pa!" He looks at me like I lost my mind... I smile and congratulate myself on speaking French and NOT panicking! Woot!
8:10 am, we finally leave after sitting on the runway for an hour.
9:20 am, we land in Paris, get off the plane and onto a bus. Evangeline and I have an hour and 10 minutes to make our flights. Her to Washington, me to Tana.
9:25 am, bus breaks down. Irritated guy who also needs to make a connection gets into a fight with the guy trying to fix the bus. Not actually helpful in the grand scheme of things.
9:45 am, we arrive at a terminal but have no idea which one it is or how to get to our flight. Evangeline and I ask a kind lady, our flights are boarding a couple of terminals and a passport check away. So we part ways and take off running. I am praying she made her flight and is peacefully flying home as I type.
10:15 am, I make it to my gate and check in. I go down a bunch of stairs to another bus that site there for about 15 minutes, then drives us to this plane faaaaaaar away from the real airport. Thank you Paris for not making us walk.
10:30 am, board the plane
11:30 am, still sittin on the plane. On the runway.
11:35 am, the plane moves. O think I see the Eiffel tower!
11:36 am, false alarm. Twas just a telephone pole. Dangit.
12:04 pm, goodbye Paris and goodbye dream of seeing the Eiffel tower.
12:45 pm, I feel like trying raw fish for the first time when I am stuck on a plane for another 9 hours is a probably a poor life choice. So I think i'll just stick with rice bread and cheese... Oh and the delicious eclair. Also I am fairly certain the last next to me wants my bottle of wine (yep. I said bottle. It comes with lunch). Go for it lady.
3:27 pm, note to self, next time black more motion sickness meds.
4:30 pm, over the Lybian Desert. Ooohhh we're halfway there! Oh oh! Living on a prayer! (I feel like this plane needs to be serenaded... Challenge accepted).
6:30 pm, the map says we're almost over Kampala, Uganda. I know someone there. Maybe they could just open the door and let me hop out quick. I wouldn't be too much trouble. I want off this plane! Ooo... The stewardess just passed out ice cream. OK maybe I'll stay on a bit longer....
7:00 pm, the guy next to me must have unbuttoned his pants while he was sleeping... Cause when he stood up they fell down .Maybe air France should think twice before handing out those bottles of wine...
8:32 pm, there are no movies left to watch. 
8:33 pm, just kidding, I'll watch Pitch Perfect.
9:25 pm, note to Self: Don't watch singing movies on a plane full of people. I don't think the lady next to me is impressed with my singing and dancing.
10:17 pm, Dear Lady Next to Me: I'm really sorry if you don't like my singing and dancing, but if you were listening to this ending, YOU'D BE DANCING TOO!!! (But you probably wouldn't be singing because you don't speak English...)
11:00 pm, OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You know those movies where people are on a plane and then really crazy interesting things happen? Yeah well... this isn't one of those flights.
1:17am, we're approaching Madagascar... is it too late to change my mind? I don't think I can do this... God help me.

We landed around 2 am. I got off the plane and it was hot and sticky, raining a little bit. We were shuffled through lines and made to fill out some paperwork. I didn't know half the answers so I just prayed and wrote stuff down. "What will be your address?" Uhm... Somewhere in the middle of nowhere Madagascar? I wrote 8 Betroka, Madagascar. I have no idea where I got that number, but no one questioned me.

I got my bags and had to go put through customs. Directly outside of the baggage check were at least 100 people grabbing to try and "help" me with my bags. I was fighting tears, and I think that the customs guys took pity on me because they just let me pass. The Petrelli's found me and helped me with my bags. They were so sweet and helpful. I feel like I have known them forever. I am still pretty sure I can't do this, and I am not sure I really comprehend the fact that I am in Madagascar, but for now I am just going to sleep. God will give me peace and rest. He promises.

1 comment: