Saturday, January 7, 2012

Reflections on the Faith Of Abraham


  For the last few months I have been really challenged by the life and faith of Abraham. I must admit that this stems mainly from the first and second grade Sunday School curriculum that we have in our church.  I think I can speak for everyone who teaches it when I say that the things we teach the little kids are just as applicable in our lives as teachers and they tell the stories we know by heart with a whole new perspective. Anyway, for the fall semester of lessons we took a walk through Genesis and looked at the family, faith and the providence of God (yes... I did say first and second graders...=D). The story of God's command for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac really struck a chord with me, and I have been daily challenged by Abraham's faith ever since. 

In Genesis 22:1-3a it says:
 "1After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 2He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” 3So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac."

God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his beloved son, and Abraham picked up Isaac and went. No arguing, no bargaining, no "But God..."'s. He gathered everything he needed for the sacrifice and went.
Later, in verse 7 Isaac, who is old enough to understand the rituals associated with sacrifice, asks his father where the lamb is. Abraham doesn't stumble over his words or make up a story, but rather he says with absolute certainty in verse 8, "God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So they went both of them together."Abraham's unquestioning faith in God ASTOUNDS me. I don't even have kids, but I'm not even sure I could sacrifice someone I didn't know, let alone my flesh and blood.

The verse that sums it all up for me is my "life verses", or at least the ones I claim most frequently as of late are Romans 4:20-21. They say:
 "20No unbelief made him [Abraham] waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised."

When all is said and done, I pray that my life reflects that statement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment