Thursday, December 6, 2012

Oh the Humanity

Are you ever just sick of your humanity? Lately, it seems like every day I become increasingly more aware of my stupid flesh, and infinitely more aware of my need for grace. I am so sick of messing stuff up and sinning against God. Even those tiny, negative thoughts that creep in every once in a while are a stench in the nostrils of God and some days it feels like I will never be free from the constant spirit v. flesh battle that goes on inside of me.

You know, I used to read stories about the Israelites and think, "Idiots, why have you forgotten all the INCREDIBLE things God has done for you? How can you turn away so quickly after He has blessed you so much! You are his chosen people!" And yet, because He saved my by grace through faith, I too am one of His chosen people.


Today when I read Psalm 106, I had a little bit of a different take on the Israelites' story. It talks all about the things the Israelites did, and the times they turned away from God and I realized something. The stories about the Israelites and their various screw ups are much less about them, and much more about the steadfast love and mercy of God. Verses 43-45 say,  

43 Many times he delivered them,
    but they were rebellious in their purposes
    and were brought low through their iniquity.  

44 Nevertheless, he looked upon their distress,
    when he heard their cry.
45 For their sake he remembered his covenant,
    and relented according to the abundance of his steadfast love.


They didn't deserve it, heck sometimes they didn't even appreciate it. But God showed them mercy anyway because of HIS character. So, why does God save us when He knows that we will still screw up? Check out verse 47;

47 Save us, O Lord our God,
    and gather us from among the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name
    and glory in your praise.

He saves us so that we will give him thanks and glory. So instead of wallowing in my humanity, instead of beating myself up for being such a screw up, I will give praise and glory to God because my salvation has NOTHING to do with me and everything to do with His incredible character. And that my friends, is a blessing. So,
 
48 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
    from everlasting to everlasting!
And let all the people say, “Amen!”
    Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment