Monday, December 24, 2012

Little girl, Big faith

 Luke 2:28-38
 
And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be.  And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.  And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.  He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”
And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.  And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren.  For nothing will be impossible with God. And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

I like specifics. When someone is telling me about a plan, I like to know EXACTLY what is going to happen. I like to be prepared as much a possible! So as I was reading this, some things struck me about this passage that I never really noticed before...

Mary says, "How can this be since I am a virgin?" 
And the angel says,“The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you therefore a child will be born..."


Now,  I am going to be honest here. If I was Mary, I think I would have been a little frustrated. I might have thought something like this, "That did not actually answer my question, and also, NONE OF THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME. I want to know HOW. Like, how exactly is this going to happen. Because, I may be young but I know how this stuff works and I mean, why me? How me? I don't understand. Give me the details Gabe! I want a step by step plan, complete with a diagram. In color. If you could send me the PDF version for future reference that would be great. Also, if you could give me a few ideas as to how to approach my fiance and parents concerning this particular miracle, that would be great because I am going to need that..." (though in the presence of an Angel I probably would not have said anything...) 

But Mary does not say that. Maybe she thought it, but somehow I doubt it. Mary was a woman of faith. Gabriel told her that nothing is impossible with God, and she didn't need to know the details. She looked at how He had provided a son for Elizabeth, all the things God had done in the past (See verses 46-55) and simply said,


“Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”

This young girl has LITERALLY, the weight of the entire world dumped in her womb, and she just says, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”


Oh that I would have that same faith, for nothing is impossible with God.


1 comment:

  1. can you imagine if that happened now - poor mary would get declared insane!

    ReplyDelete